Each season presents new health challenges—whether it’s winter’s cold, summer’s heat, or fall and spring allergies. The resources below will help you stay healthy throughout the year.
- » Pennsylvania Physician Warns of Dry Eye Season
Dr. Michael Azar talks about dry eye syndrome.
- » Protecting the Elderly When Harsh Winter Weather Hits
Some tips on protecting the health of our elderly population during the winter months.
- » Vampires Aren’t The Only Ones Interested in Your Blood This Halloween
Doctors explain why blood work is important in treating patients.
- » Good Medicine: Blood Disease
The four-minute web show features Maria De Mario DO, and Christopher Hannum MD, describe the reasons why a physician might be interested in studying a patient’s blood.
- » Protecting Yourself from Lyme Disease
Pennsylvania ranks among the highest in the nation for number of Lyme disease cases.
- » Avoid ‘Wrap Rage’ This Holiday Season
Play it safe with tough-to-open packaging to avoid an unnecessary trip to the emergency room.
- » Know the Tell-Tale Signs of Strep
Every sore throat feels sore and scratchy—so how do you know when it’s strep?
- » Four Ways to Stay Safe Outdoors
A wilderness medicine expert offers four tips to stay safe outdoors.
- » Carbon Monoxide Poisoning a Year-Round Risk
We tend to think more about the danger of carbon monoxide poisoning in the winter, but the deadly gas also can come from charcoal grills, power washers, and boats.
- » Where There’s Smoke, There’s a Risk for Burns
Seasonal hazards like burns from fires and fireworks can spoil the fun-filled summer months. Find out how you and your family can stay safe.
- » Little Known Facts: How Temperature Affects Health
Extreme temperatures—whether high or low—can have profound health effects.
- » Is It Just the Winter Blues or Something More?
Some ups and downs are normal, but unchanging moods or exaggerated mood fluctuations may indicate a seasonal affective disorder.
- » Avoiding Winter’s Bite
Get key tips on how to avoid frostbite.
- » Flu Protection
Learn about the advantages of the flu shot and other tips for protecting yourself against this illness.
- » Sunscreen Flyer (PDF)
This guide can help you choose the right sunscreen to protect your skin. (Requires Adobe Acrobat Reader)
- » Sun Safety Tips
Safety tips to help protect your skin in the sun.
- » Myth: Sunscreen Is All You Need To Prevent Skin Cancer
UV rays damage the skin 365 days a year, reflecting off snow and passing through car windows.
- » Winter Asthma Plan Is Important
A lot of time indoors in the winter poses challenges to asthmatics.
- » PAMED Offers Summertime Guidance for Asthma Sufferers
The Pennsylvania Medical Society offers state-specific online resources to help asthma patients cope with the commonwealth’s allergen-rich environment.
- » Runny Nose: A Guide for Parents
Some facts about colds and runny noses and why antibiotics might not be the best medicine.
- » Beat the Heat
The hot, hazy, sometimes unbearable heat that arrives in Pennsylvania every summer brings with it the potential for heat stroke.