Skip to content
- Keep sunscreen handy—bathroom, purse, car. Apply at least one ounce first thing in the morning before you go outside. Reapply often if you are outdoors and immediately after swimming. Choose an SPF 30 or higher that protects against both UVA and UVB rays.
- Cover up. Wear a hat that covers your ears. Wear sunglasses. Wear a lightweight shirt and pants that cover as much skin as possible.
- Avoid peak hours. Stay out of the sun between 10 AM and 4 PM when UV rays are strongest. And stay in the shade whenever possible.
- Avoid tanning salons. Ten minutes in a tanning bed equals two hours in the sun.
- Examine your skin regularly. Also schedule a yearly exam with a physician.