This highlight examines the rising problem of childhood obesity. In Pennsylvania, one in five children is obese. Learn about body fat screening requirements in Pennsylvania’s schools and weight management programs in your area.
- » Childhood Obesity Rates Remain High in PA
Obesity remains a critical issue among Pennsylvania’s young residents despite continuing efforts to lower the rates.
- » Poll Finds Gym Classes May Be Popular After All
A survey of patients shows a high level of support for required physical education in schools.
- » Local Program Combats Childhood Obesity
The Pittsburgh-based Fitwits program uses games and food-inspired characters to teach kids about healthy eating and staying active.
- » Get Nutrition and Weight Management Services for Your Child
Are you worried about your child’s weight? If your child has Medicaid, you can get help.
- » DPW Announces Childhood Obesity Action Plan
The action plan addresses three key sectors in the health care delivery system: providers, consumers, and policymakers.
- » Finding Help for Your Overweight Child
A resource to help overweight children.
- » Children With Adult Onset Diabetes May Face Serious Long-Term Health Risks
Children with adult onset diabetes may not have symptoms but could face serious long-term health risks.
- » Some Pennsylvania Parents May Be Surprised by Child’s Body Fat Screening Results
The state now requires body mass index screenings for all students in grades K-12.
- » A Patient Story: Childhood Obesity
This is the story of Michael, an obese 14-year-old who lost weight through healthy diet and exercise.
- » Weight Management Treatment Programs for Children
The following list, organized alphabetically by county/location, represents medical and clinic based weight management programs for children.
- » Related Links: Obesity
These websites and resources offer more information on obesity.