Parent Discusses Son’s Overdose

Mark Bauer was one week away from high school graduation in May 2004.  

The 18-year-old was active and fit. He was an avid weightlifter, working out most days of the week and sometimes in the middle of the night when he couldn’t sleep. 

But, on May 28, 2004, Mark didn’t wake up.  

He had died of an accidental overdose of prescription painkillers that his parents hadn’t known he was taking. The pills were not prescribed for him. 

Since their son’s death, Phil and Cookie Bauer, along with their oldest son Brian, have been spreading the word about the dangers of teen prescription abuse. 

 “Many of our young people are using prescription drugs and medicines for non-medical purposes.  Many still believe that abusing medicine is safer than using illicit street drugs,” Phil Bauer writes. 

“The problem is that when medicines are misused or abused, they come with the same risks and dangers as using street drugs.  They can lead to dependence and addiction with the same consequences as that of heroin or any other street drug,” he adds. 

To read more about Mark Bauer’s story, visit these websites: